Tuesday, May 14, 2002

 
Linda's thoughts about Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement in the previous entry are on the mark. The book takes a wide look at software quality improvement across the life cycle and wraps it into a continuous improvement process. I just received a review copy of Systematic Software Testing by Rick D. Craig and Stefan P. Jaskiel and have to exclaim, what a difference a day makes. I've only had this book for 18 hours as I write this, and in my opinion it's destined to become the standard reference for software testing. It won't completely supplant Software Testing and Continuous Quality Improvement because, as Linda pointed out, that book's encyclopediac format for testing techniques, and the complete picture of pre- and post-production metrics make it useful in its own right.

The reason I believe that the Craig and Jaskiel book will become the standard reference is based on:

A few other highlights that I picked up in the 18 hours since I've had this book include: a side-by-side comparison of software quality and test certifications. There were some interesting surprises here. For example, there are a little over 1900 ASQ CSQEs, compared to over 2200 QAI CSTEs, which means that the I lost the debate with Manisha Saboo of eRunway over which was the most prevalent certification. Another fact that emerged from the comparison makes Manisha's arguments in favor of CSTE even more compelling is the average salary increase for those who attain one or the other certification, which is a mere 3% for CSQE and 19% for CSTE. The two other certification programs compared in the chart, IEEE CSDP and International Institute for Software Testing CSTP, are relatively new certifications with less than 200 certified professionals each.

I also liked the chapters on test management (from a test manager's perspective) and improving the test process. If you are with an organization that is assessed against the CMM or are considering going in that direction, the brief piece on how to align the test process to the CMM is invaluable. If you are familiar with Test Process Improvement approach proposed by Koomen and Pol in Test Process Improvement: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide to Structured Testing, you'll especially like the way that this book cross references STEP to TPI.

Obviously I will have much more to say about this book as I read through it in detail, and after I have I'll post a comprehensive review here. However, I found the book to be so impressive and compelling on the first scan through that I wanted to get the word out that this is, indeed, a book that is essential if you're involved in software testing.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]