Thursday, January 17, 2002
Function point analysis has matured over the years and has evolved into an interrelated collection of methods called Functional Size Measurement. However, there are other methods and techniques, the most promising of which is Practical Software Measurement (PSM). PSM is supported by a large body of knowledge and software at the Practical Software Measurement site. Among the resources are an estimating application called PSM Insight, and documentation about the Practical Software Measurement methodology.
No list of software estimating would be complete without mentioning the constructive cost model (CoCoMo), which is now in version 2. The COCOMO II site that is managed by Dr. Barry Boehm, who is the father of software estimating, is resource-rich, including offshoots of the CoCoMo methodology and free tools (see the COCOMO Suite page.)
I've made two software estimating resources available for download from my site. They are in a single Zip archive, which contains:
- Software Estimating Techniques (PDF format)
- Estimating Process Guidelines (MS Word document)
Other metrics and estimating resources I dug up include:
- Impact of Experience on Maintenance - this paper has implications for maintenance programming.
- Web Development: Estimating Quick-to-market Software
- Miscellaneous metrics - this page has links to various business-related e-commerce metrics
- Requirements Change - an interesting paper that thoroughly covers the impact of requirements change on projects. This one is in PDF format, but you can also download it in RTF format
- EC Institute Body of Knowledge for Electronic Commerce - not specifically about metrics, but is essential reading for anyone involved in e-commerce projects
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]